Wednesday, April 25, 2012

postheadericon Advice to Authors

Advice to Authors: If you don't have anything nice to say about a comment, PLEASE ignore it.

I think this has been said quite frequently around the blogosphere due to all the drama happening around here. Anyhow, this is a really small thing but one that bothered me a bit. It is personal so that's why I thought I'd share it here on my personal blog. It's not meant as an attack or anything. This is just my way of expressing my concern.

Here's the deal:

Today I saw the new cover for Outpost by Ann Aguirre. I liked the cover, but I felt like it didn't have the impact that the mock-up had. So I tweeted a small tweet about it. I made the mistake of naming the author.


It was supposed to be a passing thought and nothing else.


However, Ann Aguirre replied and she told me that she disagreed with me. Here's where it starts bothering me. It's my opinion so I should be able to think whatever I want right? She even said I was entitled to it!



I went on to tell her why the first cover worked for me, NOTHING else. I DIDN'T think it was western at all. This is not supposed to be a mean spirited tweet. Just me saying here's why I liked it and that's it. I think her characters are strong and that's why the dagger works for it. I said that maybe I was wrong because she's the author, it's her work and she can think of them differently.

HOWEVER, she went on to tweet the following right after that. I'm saying seconds after it.



It is obviously directed towards me. Okay... So apparently now I'm telling her she shouldn't like her own cover? Ms. Aguirre, you are putting words in my mouth that I have NEVER uttered. I only said my opinion and thought you would ignore it, as most authors would. Why didn't you? I would have liked it better if you ignored me, as most authors are advised. I was NOT looking for trouble. My tweet was meant as a concluding one to stop the conversation, which I guess it did until you tweeted something about me. That tweet hurt me. It offended me as a reader and fan of yours. Enclave was a book that I absolutely adored and I was quick to add to my favorites. It pains me to see this because I respected you so much as an author. I'm sorry but I can't support your work anymore because I have been offended, as a reader. 

And you know what? I NEVER said the new cover was ugly or that I disliked it. I only mentioned that the other was fitting. I still liked the new one very much because it fit the previous cover, but oh well, I guess you didn't read my tweets properly and acted on impulse. 

Anyway, that is all. I'm moving on from this and looking for a different read in my future.

4 comments:

Ann Aguirre said...

I would ask you this question, Jennie. Why did you @ me if you didn't want a reply?

From my perspective, I got a negative comment about a cover I loved. I disagreed and said you were welcome to your opinion. That was the end, as far as -I- was concerned.

The next tweet I saw from you, said this:

@MsAnnAguirre is not right. Oh well.

What am I to extrapolate from this comment? I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by being puzzled by that tweet. Truth be told, I am still puzzled by it. How am I 'not right'? In what context?

And sorry to hear you won't be reading Outpost, but there are lots of other fantastic authors out there. Have a great day!

Ann Aguirre said...

Hm, in re-reading, I see that there was a first part tweet that did not come through on my Tweet deck. I only saw the second half, which has no indicator that it's finishing a thought.

I'm no longer puzzled! It was a technical malfunction, it seems.
Again, you have my apologies for hurting your feelings. I didn't see the first part of that at the time.

Happy reading.

Jennie said...

Thank you so much for your reply, Ms. Aguirre. This was all obviously a misunderstanding from both parts. I'm also very sorry if I hurt you too. :)

Ann Aguirre said...

It was a bit of a downer that you liked the concept art better, but I love the new version, and you are, truly, welcome to your view. :)

Hopefully it's the content of the book that matters anyway.

Powered by Blogger.

Looking forward to...


I've heard only amazing things about it.

Looking forward to...


The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury - B&N Leatherbound
I've already read and loved this book. I just want this gorgeous edition. I NEED to get it after my book buying ban is over.

Currently Loving


The Legend of Korra
I am loving this show so much and it's not even officially out. Korra kicks ass though. She is awesome!

Looking forward to...


Getting a hardcover edition of Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift. That man is flawless imo.

Follow Me

Follow un3xpectedfate on Twitter Facebook

About Me

My Photo
Jennie
A Computer Science major. This is my blog for sharing my random thoughts on books, writing, studying, videogames, and more.
View my complete profile

Followers

My Book Blog

Looking forward to...


Dior Croisette Collection for Summer 2012 - Dior 5-Couleurs Croisette Edition (Warm)

Looking forward to...


The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics)
This collection will be mine someday. :)